Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Something a little light-hearted

Today, in class, we talked about light and how different colours interact. I could go on a long-winded theology of light, but today is not that day. I will just point out that the word in English for the opposite of heavy is also the word for the opposite of dark, and that God takes away burdens and illumines our lives.

And who couldn't use a little more ljoss-ness? (ljoss adj. bright [Old Norse])

So, first, yesterday was a Good Day. It involved a lot of sudden inspirations, lack of sleep, and friendship.

First off, if you haven't gone to adoration recently, hie thee hence to the nearest adoration chapel and get thee on thy knees. I don't mean to be demanding, but boy is it a source of grace, especially when your friend texts you and says "I need you to cover 15 minutes of adoration stat." (this isn't a true quote, but he he said something like this, only using the word "stat" isn't his style.) (stat, btw, comes from the Latin "statim" meaning immediately.)

My studio had a pretty good midterm review, and although Stairs Must Be Moved, etc., I am feeling pretty good about this.

I am still struggling with the question of whether I should go carve stone in England, get a nice cushy internship in the US, apprentice myself to the stone mason on this project, be a traveling musician based in Nashville, attend classes at the Prince's School of Traditional Arts, or go to grad school. So many options, and so man reasons to do none of them. Oh well.

Finalmente, I had a nice glass of vino (or goblet or mug) with a friend who is an artist, and if we didn't solve all the problems of art and the cultural renewal of the Church, we sure talked about it and agreed a lot more than we disagreed. One bein of contention was the value of the Middle Ages and specifically medieval art. This is one of my favourite subjects.

I haven't yet written my paper for my class that's due today, although I've started it, but all that seems rather mundane in the face of the encounter with grace that was yesterday.

God is wonderful. Find time for him.

No comments: