Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Surprised by Grace

Once in a while, God acts in your life. Actually, that happens pretty often. The first fall day at Notre Dame? That's God. (NB: I'm pretty sure that Autumn is God's favourite season.) The sounds of a cello playing a piece by Bach? That's God too. Sometimes we forget about these things, take them for granted. So many little things are made possible by the grace of God. In fact, everything exists because of the grace of God.

We often think that God's grace is only present in the amazing and astounding things of life. Say you get a new job, a job you really wanted. Or perhaps the "queen of all [your] dreams" walks into your life. Or maybe you managed to get home in a blizzard without wrecking your car or dying. All those things are God's grace on our lives.

Or maybe he's present in the great pains we have. Perhaps you lost a lot of money, or hurt someone you love, or missed a great work opportunity. Maybe you have a chronic illness that may result in your death. God's grace can be and is present in these situations, and we can recognize that. 

Also, the Sacraments are God's grace in our lives in a very unique way. We receive God Himself in the Eucharist. We receive His forgiveness in the confessional. We receive the gifts of the Spirit in Confirmation. Our slavery to sin is purged in the waters of Baptism. And the awful thing is, we can take these for granted too.

How much more, then, do we take for granted the little things? The ripple of water, the look of seasoned wood furniture, the voice of the woman you love, your desires, your hopes, your tastes, your knowledge, your emotions, your thoughts, your routine. All these things are moments of grace and God is trying to work through them for the betterment of your soul.

But we often miss that point and ruin it royally.

God, however, forgives. That's the sign of God. If a person forgives, that's a sign of God working through them. We must forgive, and beg forgiveness so that God can work through us and in us. And all throughout this forgiveness, God's grace is still doing its thing. It's still finding its way to you in the little things. It will, in fact, never stop.

The call, then, is to be continually surprised by grace. To turn to a life of gratitude and wonder. If we let that go, we have forgotten about God.

Let's not forget about God. Let's not forget the little things, the Moments of Beauty.

No comments: