Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Friday, September 20, 2013

Seven Odysseys: The Third Odyssey

I've been a little remiss in posting these Odysseys over the last couple days. This is partly laziness and partly a funk, and partly my own odyssey I'm on. Prayers would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'll move on to the odyssey from anger to understanding and forgiveness. Many of us humans are sinners, and it is only right that we should respond to the sins of others in anger. I certainly do. But often we get stuck on this anger, holding grudges, resenting, even hating another person for the harm that person has done to us. Hurt is very real, and we can't say that another's sins are good. However, if we hold on to that, we are still in Troy. We have not yet reached Home--Ithaca.

Anger can also be directed toward someone for an imagined slight. So and so didn't treat me how I wanted to be treated. She won't be my friend, he didn't help me when I needed it. We hold grudges, keep count, and resent those closest to us.

And anger, in the "Trojan" sense, will very frequently turn into violence. Our loss of control when confronted with the failures of others is counteracted with a grasping after power. Any violence we do is really just a show of power. I won't let you treat me like that. I am the one really in control. If you do that, I can still do this. I will stay n control.

And this anger, this violence tuns into a war, and is thus probably the closest to a real Troy.

But where can we find our Home? Where is Ithaca? How can we forgive and understand while still not accepting evil?

Well, let me tell you, it's not always effective to reason yourself into forgiveness. "Oh, I should forgive her. She didn't really hurt me, and she's sorry." That's a good start, perhaps, but often we experience a deep emotional pain as well, which can not be healed by forcing rationality down our throats. When we want to forgive, often the devil throws another obstacle in the way. Another monster to overcome, another sea to cross.

And we don't need another sea to cross, we need to see the Cross. It is the image of true forgiveness. God died and rose, he acted to forgive, and we must act as well. But most of all, we must depend on him. If we are to love each other, forgive and avoid anger, violence and resentment, we must embrace the cross and never let go. We must love each other as He loved us, sacrificing our pain for the good of the other.

Oh, Lord, help us live the life of the Cross!

No comments: