Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sad Sights of the Internet

My sister got me involved in Pinterest. I never had a moment to use it until this summer and now I’m baking delicious Earl Grey cookies and suggesting little DIY tips and admitting, somewhat shamefully, “Oh, I found it on Pinterest.” I told my mom that Pinterest is the new way for people to spread their bizarre tips from their grandmas about rubbing garlic on bee stings and putting vinegar and baking soda in your hair to make it grow faster. And who knew that the white stain a wet mug can leave on wood can be erased by rubbing in some mayonnaise or toothpaste? (It's true and saves you in the event you set your french press down in the wrong spot while your mother was out of town.)

While it is often a great way to prevent boredom and find clever ways to solve issues, Pinterst falls victim to all the issues of the modern age: namely promoting skewed thoughts on body image or outlooks on life. You know those super cheesy pictures people post with text formatted over an image? They look a little something like this:

Wut. Go read the catechism.
Or this:

Ugh.
Or:
Just no.
And this is just sad: 
"Your dream body"? No wonder people are confused when they get so many mixed messages. When Dove's Real Beauty Campaign videos spiked in popularity some lone voices warned that "Dove is owned by Unilever which owns AXE which puts out ads that objectify women and perpetuate those same beauty standards that Dove attacks in its ads."

Anyways, that's a whole 'nother topic for another time. In terms of these pictures and quotes that circulate around the internet I feel like they aren't really helping any problems but just perpetuating mindsets. Especially the "romance" ones. Yeesh. A number of these are all linked to specific tumblrs and the ones with the "thingsboysdowelove" signature have made it famous enough for clever and hilarious parodies. Such as:

And:
And last but not least:
It sort of reminds me of the ignorant literary references that go something like "I want a romance like Romeo and Juliet!" or Taylor Swift singing "I was a scarlet letter". What? No, no, no. Think it through, people, and don't get sucked into superficiality.
Dove is owned by Unilever which owns AXE which puts out ads that objectify women and perpetuate those same beauty standards that Dove attacks in its ads. - See more at: http://www.sandpapersuit.com/2013/04/dove-axe-unilever-and-real-beauty.html#sthash.NFycy45S.dpuf
Dove is owned by Unilever which owns AXE which puts out ads that objectify women and perpetuate those same beauty standards that Dove attacks in its ads. - See more at: http://www.sandpapersuit.com/2013/04/dove-axe-unilever-and-real-beauty.html#sthash.NFycy45S.dpuf
Dove is owned by Unilever which owns AXE which puts out ads that objectify women and perpetuate those same beauty standards that Dove attacks in its ads. - See more at: http://www.sandpapersuit.com/2013/04/dove-axe-unilever-and-real-beauty.html#sthash.NFycy45S.dpuf
Dove is owned by Unilever which owns AXE which puts out ads that objectify women and perpetuate those same beauty standards that Dove attacks in its ads. - See more at: http://www.sandpapersuit.com/2013/04/dove-axe-unilever-and-real-beauty.html#sthash.NFycy45S.dpuf

2 comments:

Miss Elizabeth said...

Oh gosh, Mary Catherine, this post was great. It needed to be written badly. I never liked these types of things which infest Pinterest. I am glad someone has finally spoken up about it. Perhaps I will too one of these days... :D

Mary Catherine said...

Thanks, Elizabeth! When I see these things I always have to either laugh or cringe at them...