Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Monday, July 8, 2013

Lazy

I recently finished the book "A Severe Mercy," which if you haven't read it, you should. It's the story of two lovers who find Christ and allow Him to transform their love into something quite supernatural.

Without giving too much away, the point the author is making is that no matter what, our earthly loves must die, must in fact be given to God to sacrifice in order for them to be resurrected and created anew according to God's plan for us.

Well, it's damned hard to give up everything to God. In the Schoenstatt Movement (a movement within the Church to which I belong), there is the concept of the blank check, which is essentially giving your whole soul without reservation to Our Lady, who dispenses the grace of God, so that she might take any amount out of us to be used for the Kingdom. It's something I've always wanted to do, but never gotten around to officially.

So, after reading "A Severe Mercy," it became even clearer that this is something which God wants of us all. So I decided "Yes, let's do this."

Then, my spirit was willing but my flesh was weak:


In short, the moment that one WANTS to make some major step in the spiritual life, the landscape starts to look less like this:

And more like this:

It's kind of daunting and it becomes easy to just say "forget about it." For those of us who both don't like forgetting about it and are assailed by impatience, it not only becomes daunting, but also completely, desperately impossible. The minute you determine to do something good for your soul, some demon comes in and says "heh, nah, not worth it," or "umm, no you can't."

And sometimes I listen.

But there's another better way. Is easier always better? In short, no. Look at these pictures:

View from top of Mountain
View from top of Plain
Road to Mountain
Road to Plain
My apologies to all those who live on the Great Plains or similar climates, but the mountains are so much more exciting. More hard work, to be sure, greater risk of falls and you might have to try over and over again, but in the end it's worth it.

But I can't do it alone. In fact, I can't really do it at all. God must perform his perfect sacrifice in the person of Christ and all I can do is say "Here, take this too, if you will."

And...he will.

No comments: