Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Home

A question that has occurred to me is: Can we find a home here on earth? What I mean by that is some place where you belong and where God has granted you particular rest and consolation. I am particularly prone to restlessness. I don't like staying in one place for very long, but it's mostly because I want to find Home. I want to be there and stay there and be at peace. St. Augustine would say, and I would tend to agree with him, that my heart is restless until it rests in God. But can we rest in God to any degree here on earth?

This may be heresy, but I think you can. Especially for those of us who are called to the married life, God will give some place, some situation a special gift of his presence so as to help create a grace-filled, peaceful, restful space for a family to develop. This peace, this rest is not foreign to the human experience. I have been on a silent retreat and I have felt the rest and peace that it brought. I have been in the presence of a loving human being whom I can love in return and felt the joy and serenity which I desire.



All of these things which hint, I know, at my heavenly home, also point to my home here on earth: my vocation, where I am to live, what I am to hold as important, what I am going to support and promote, with whom I will spend my life.

And this earthly environment, this HOME can only be the resting place for the longer journey, the inn on the way to the city. But God will give us an inn which will recall the heavenly city even more, and though we find peace and rest and joy there, our longing will still be there and be intensified.

At least I hope it will. I pray it will.
I want to go to there.

No comments: