Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Emmanuel

One of my favourite images of Christ is Christ the King. Perhaps this is because I love the Middle Ages so much, or perhaps it is the other way around. He hasn't told me yet. Being a knight of the King, and also, of course, the Queen, means a certain responsibility to His mission. This means sometimes going out into the wild and encountering hardship.

And one thing that often comes with being on said mission is a feeling of loneliness, of despair, of apathy, of betrayal. Does the King really care that I am far away from Him? Does He really care that His mission isn't all strawberries and cream? Isn't it more likely that I will never see Him again?

And this can lead to further feelings of: "It's not worth it. Maybe I just won't go back to Him since He doesn't care." And herein lies the problem. When we get to this point, we sort of have committed Blasphemy against the King.

The thing about this King, however, as opposed to other kings, is that He is never far away. He is, in fact, always closer to you than you are yourself. We think we're alone, but we aren't.

Distance (this is a slight digression) is always difficult to deal with. We tend to see only the reality of physical separation and thus we lose hope. We think "We can't deal with this. We're not going to succeed. We're not going to survive this mission. We are alone."

Boo, hoo.

But we forget the spiritual reality of Nearness through the love of God. C.S. Lewis often made the point that the Spiritual Realm was harder and more "real" in a sense than the material realm. It hurt more, but it was also able to span distances that matter can't. It can pierce even through the folds of time.

And this is why God is always near us. He is the almighty spirit who pierces completely the folds of time and matter because, as eternal, He is always present in all times and places. His nearness has been made known many times throughout history, but most importantly when He pierced the very matter He created and took possession of it and clothed Himself in it. Never has He been closer to us than when we can touch Him through our bodies, which God made to enact our wills. Jesus Christ, the King, is always with us in spirit, penetrating into our lives with the sharpness of the Eternal, but is also with us daily and even hourly in the Eucharist. In the Eucharist He abides with us in physical form and thus always relates to us through our bodies and our souls.

So on our missions, whether we be separated from those we love, or are with them daily, let us remember that we have a God who never abandons us and will always hear us when we call on his name.

No comments: