Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Monday, January 21, 2013

Ramblings on a Snowy Day

It is beautiful outside. I know this because there is a freeness in my soul that I feel when I step outside into the snow and sun. There is probably more beauty in one flake of snow than in a thousand beautiful buildings (I should know, being a potential architect). Then again, we wouldn't be able to see the beauty of said snowflake without the light from the sun (or a lamp, I suppose, but really, who would replace the light of the sun with the light of a lamp?) The sun illuminated the snow as it illuminates everything in the world. The funny thing is, the sun is also the downfall of the snow (not as in it makes the snow fall down, but as in it causes the snow to melt.) The thing which makes the snow the most beautiful--shows its whiteness most brilliantly, its crystaline structure most clearly--is the thing that in the end destroys it. If the snowflake were to speak to the sun, I could imagine the conversation to follow in this way:

Snowflake: Oh, Sun! You are amazing and you make the whole world shine with your light and in fact you make it clear that I myself am beautiful!

Sun: That is right, your beauty is great, but don't get too attached to it. Narcissism never did any snowflake any good.

Snowflake: Don't be such a downer! I'm not Narcissistic! I am a piece of frozen water that developed around a speck of dust in a crystaline formation that was caused by the Water Cycle!

Sun: You are a very smart Snowflake, but remember the water cycle is your cause, but I am part of the water cycle as well. You would de well to remember that the beauty that I give you is only possible as the expense of you one day continuing in the water cycle.

Snowflake: What do you mean? Do you mean I won't be a beautiful snowflake forever? I will lose the bloom of my youth and go through all sorts of Trials and then m...elt?

Sun: Yes.

Snowflake: No, I shan't. I shall remain frozen and you will illuminate my beauty.

And with that the snowflake melts. Too bad, right? Well, it turned out that the snowflake tried so hard to stay frozen that his effort is what melted him. He didn't want to think about his proper place in the water cycle even though it was inevitable. Not only was it inevitable, but although he lost the beauty of being a snowflake, he gained the beauty of being among those who mark the passage of time. His obstinancy closed him to that reality.

I THINK this was supposed to a metaphor.

No comments: