Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Importance of Prayer

The funny thing about prayer, and it's not like people haven't been saying this for a long time, is that it's not something that should be frosting on the cake of life nor just the bread of a Daily Life sandwich. In fact, our various activities and desires and thoughts can all be a part of this prayer.

I don't, of course, mean that eating a sandwich for lunch is in any way equivalent to an hour of adoration (or even a minute of adoration), but a sandwich eaten with gusto and appreciation for its Goodness is an act of praise to our Almighty God.

Another point that might be worth mentioning is that although prayer isn't just the sprinkling on the doughnut of life, it is a very good practice to sprinkle moments of prayer throughout your day. Moments of memorized prayer and moments of spontaneous prayer. Both are important. The reason that this is good, besides just the fact that any conversation with God is good, is that it creates in us a natural rhythm and habit of prayer. It's easier at this point to really infuse your whole being with a disposition toward listening to God.

We live in a world where noise is the norm and silence is seldom heard. God apparently appears in a whispering voice to Elijah, but He's also been known to talk through thunder and through a flood. God doesn't ask us to say no to all noise (though excess anything is bad), rather he asks us to hear him in it. The Thunder, the Bells, the Sirens. All around, God speaks to us and so our lives can become lives of listening, and thus prayer.

This way, we are properly disposed toward God and we will be more able to do God's will in our lives. He wants to do Good Things for us, and we only have to open ourselves to His work.

No comments: