Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Assumption

As I was thinking about the Feast for today, I thought to myself "The Assumption isn't really that meaningful to me. Darn, I must be a terrible person." Then it hit me. I was thinking about it from the standpoint of my prejudice against a lot of the religious art depicting this event. Yes, I don't really feel like a Flying Mary is particularly amazing considering that she was sinless and had borne the Saviour of the world.

Then I remembered that I actually LOVE the event which we celebrate but under a different name: The Dormition of Mary. This is the Eastern name based on the belief that instead of just getting pulled out of the group of apostles while they were praying and flying up to heaven, Our Lady "fell asleep" in death and then after being buried, she was taken body and soul up to God. After three days, the apostles checked her tomb and she was gone. In a way, she mirrored her son, as was her wont.

This narrative appeals to me a lot more than the other and either is accepted by the Church as long as it's admitted that she did indeed go to heaven body and soul.

Just as a note, my prejudice against western depictions of the Assumption are no more than prejudices that I just have to get over.

No comments: