Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Doing Your Duty

Sometimes you just don’t want to do something. We all have our duties and responsibilities – going to work or class, filling out applications, doing household chores, the list goes on and on. Most of the time that “something” ought to be done regardless if you feel like doing it or not. It’s safe to say everyone has experienced days when all trace of motivation is hidden very safely from sight or perhaps never existed in the first place. It could be the prodding of “the double edged sword of being lazy and being bored or a simple proclivity for procrastination. In the words of a former upholsterer turned musician, “Sometimes you aren’t inspired to upholster an old chair. Sometimes it’s work and you just do it because you’re supposed to. Not every day of your life are you going to wake up, the clouds are going to part, the rays from heaven are going to come down and you’re going to [be instantly inspired]”. Whether it’s dilapidated chairs or forcing yourself to wake up too early in the morning and get to class, chances are you aren’t bursting with excitement at the thrill of a stripped screw or an eight o’clock exam.

But doing the responsible thing regardless is not quite the end of the story. Often that to-do list hanging over your head requires you to “force yourself to do it because you know something good can come out of it”, as the upholsterer continues to explain. Should you just settle for doing your duty because you’ve been told it’s the thing to do? Or should you do it because in doing so you can make some improvement? Isn’t that why we do things - because we see that a good can come from it? There is some purpose to the action, however small. You should want to trudge to class, not only because if you miss it you might get marked down, but because you genuinely want to learn and that learning can later serve your life.    

I can testify to the impatience of wanting to skip ahead to the part where everything is finished for me. I’ve always loved writing but am not as concerned as I probably ought to be when it comes to grammar. I love playing music and attempting to write it but theory easily bores me. You can’t become a better writer if you disregard the rules that were created in order to help you write nor can you truly become a better musician without delving into a deeper understanding of the theory behind it.    

I could probably argue that I wasn’t "inspired" to write a post for the Third Order. It’s not at all because I do not want to be part of it or because I have nothing to say; it’s because blogging is unfamiliar and even strange to me. You mean I have to come up with a topic, organize my thoughts and then put it on display for the world to see? In some ways it’s a lot like pinning up in studio. Still, after everything I’ve said I don’t have an excuse and, who knows, maybe some good will come out of it.         

No comments: