Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Ignorance is Bliss

It must feel great to be ignorant. You don't have to worry about what's actually the case. For instance, say you're speeding down the highway at 90 mph and you think to yourself "I haven't seen a speed limit sign in so long. I have no idea what the speed limit is!" You can safely (haha) continue driving at that speed without worrying about the law.

Or take another example. Say you're water-coloring something and you are ignorant of technique. You can just paint until it looks good with no expectations of greatness.

Or take another example. Say that God demands you to reject your father or your mother or your brother or your sister for His kingdom (He said it would happen, by the way). If you are ignorant of his call, you can just go sweetly about your own business without worrying about anything.

Ignorance is Bliss.

We think we have God all figured out. He said Love and we think we know what that means. He says teach all nations and we think we know how. Fact is, we can find out by reading the Gospels and the New Testament and the Church Fathers and the great Theologians throughout the history of the Church. Or, we can remain in our ignorance and just base our decisions on how good it makes us feel. We might not want to lose a friendship, but God might demand it. What if our soul is in danger because of the friendship? What if our friend's soul is in danger?

What if we misinterpret Christ's words so that they make us feel good. What if we remember the words "Love your enemies" and forget the words "I come not to bring peace but the sword." The admonition to love your enemies is hard, but it sure sounds good. The bringing of the sword sure doesn't.

But ignorance is bliss. If we just forget the hardships and sufferings that accompany this world and shut them out, we can have a happy and blissful existence.

After all, why do a bunch of old celibate men get to decide what Christ meant?

No comments: