Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A weird analogy....

Imagine playing pin-ball in the following manner: Every time you shoot the ball, you place some sort of blockade so that it will never enter the playing field. You do this because you know that the ball will eventually fall between the flappers either because you're terrible at pinball or you get too tired to play any more. If you let the ball enter the playing field, you will have no time to play pool, or grab a cocktail or hold a philosophical discussion. You will be stuck at the pinball machine until you let the ball through three times. After that, the game is over. You don't want to just fail, and you want to play pool, grab a cocktail, and hold a philosophical discussion. It's better not to start playing at all.

But you love how it feels to pull back the lever and release the ball, but you don't want to have to deal with the time it takes to keep the ball in play and if you're just going to let it fall through, you might as well not even play. But you love the release of the ball, so you set up a blockade.

There are certain times when you insist on the blockade, like when someone comes up and messes up your release. You need to blockade it to prevent the loss of a ball.

To tell you the truth, this is a terrible way to approach the game of pinball. It will eventually ruin the game for you if all you do is release the ball and not play the game. The game was designed to be played.

So, let's all go out there and play pin-ball. And leave the blockades out of it.

1 comment: