Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Theological Virtues: Faith, pt. 2: Remembering Joy

Faith, Hope, Love. The three Theological Virtues. A while back I started a series on the Theological Virtues. Like most series, I didn't finish it. Well, here I am to continue it.

Faith is related to trust. We trust that God exists and will fulfill all his promises. We have faith that He is Who He says He is. We trust that we have been redeemed. But what does this faith actually consist of? Does it consist in us yelling "We believe" while covering our eyes and ears to the evils of the world? Does it consist of us proving that God exists? Does it consist in acts of worship? Does it consist in works of mercy? It can possibly take all these faces. But I would like to look at something more fundamental. Faith is about a relationship with a Person--God. In our lives, we are often not with the people we love. It's just a reality. Does that mean that they don't exist or don't love us? Maybe, but not God. He is eternal Love. He may seem to be far away, but it is we who have lagged behind in our passivity. How do we speed up?

Take a look at this post by Steve Gershom and then come back.

We speed up by Remembering Joy. There are moments of Joy in our lives (and I use that word in the Lewisian sense) that we recognize as such. We might not see them as the work of God, but we certainly see them as something positive. I would urge us all to consider these positive moments of Joy as proofs of God's Love. God is constant. If once he gives us Love, he will never take it away. When we are lagging behind in this life, we must only remember these moments in life and then the proof will be there. No, not the proof. The faith. The belief in the existence of the proof. The belief in what is proved. The belief in the Person.

No comments: