Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Friday, February 24, 2012

In memoriam

The Church is truly Universal. It has been said that there is never a moment when Mass is not being celebrated. I don't know. It seems like it could be the case. Whether it is or not, there is something unifying about knowing that everywhere around the world, people are going to Mass.

Today, the Notre Dame Liturgical Choir is remembering its late director, Dr. Gail Walton, a powerhouse of musical proficiency and an important mentor for many in the choir and those who have graduated. Her impact on her assistant (now the Director) Andrew McShane is obvious and the dedication he brings to the choir is definitely inspired by her memory.

I will admit that I did not know her that well, but her impact on people I know is so tangible that to be unaffected is impossible. She was truly an extraordinary woman.

The point? The point is that tonight (5.15pm EST), the Liturgical Choir will be attending a Mass in memory of Gail. In solidarity, a fellow choir member in the archie program and I went to Mass at Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. I was of course expecting the general weekday Mass said by an old dominican priest, but instead, we got a cardinal with full choir singing such things as the Mozart "Ave Verum." There is no better way to remember your choir director than to listen to a choir singing great music.

And so, I would like to offer you this piece of music, for remembrance, for consolation and for joy. This is the title track of the Liturgical Choir's latest CD which was conceived by Gail before she died. This was her song. And there is not a better song to hear on the memorial of the death of someone as special as Gail is.

No comments: