Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Detachment

There's something called "attachment parenting" I think. I don't know too much about it. I assume it's a parenting technique developed in the late 20th C. We liked to call things things like that then. To tell you the truth, I'm not too interested in what it is. For one thing, I'm not a parent yet, so it doesn't matter to me right now. For another thing, I feel like I wouldn't really be interested if I knew what it was. But maybe my mother can set me straight on that.

What I'm more interested in is what I would call "detachment Parenting." This is one aspect of the kind of Parenting that God employs. By our very nature, we're very attached to certain things. We have tendencies toward certain sins, but more importantly we have tendencies towards material goods. By goods I of course mean things that are good not things that you purchase at the nearest shop such as "dry good," "paper goods," etc. I mean things like friendship, television shows, hobbies, days at the beach, a good education, accolades etc. When God calls us to turn away from the things of this world he doesn't just mean candy and temptations of the flesh. He's talking even about the goods that point toward him. Just like we're not going to rip out the sign that points us to the city and carry it with us. We have to go in the direction is points. This means we have to turn away from the sign and turn toward the city. We have to leave the sign behind.

Ok, so God calls us to be detached even from the good things in our live. This is why we give up things for Lent. It's not because they're bad, but because their goodness can distract us from the Ultimate Good instead of pointing us toward him.

And really this brings us a greater appreciation for those things because they are then put in their correct context. You are able to see them from outside of your experience of them and thus get a greater view of them, a more objective view. Seeing the proper ordering of goods and and their relationship to the Ultimate Good will not only make it easier to pursue the Ultimate Good but also make it easier to use the lesser goods in that pursuit.

Lent is not a time of hate and rejection, it is a time of love. We love the goods of this world because they are the work of our Creator. Because of this, we do not want to abuse them. By practicing detachment, this love of creation and the Creator is possible

No comments: