Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Background

Don't ever forget the background. In painting, it's the background that makes the foreground come to life. Sometimes the background becomes the focus of the painting. In architecture it is the same. Behind the facade, what goes on? But we take it for granted.

Two instances come to mind. Here in studio, it is not uncommon for people (including myself) to eat lunch while on the computer. Or rather, go on the computer while eating. I will argue, however, that being on the computer while eating is not only bad for the computer (grease, spills, you know) but also for the eater. Food is meant to be savored. It has a taste and a texture for a reason. I've noticed that when I'm doing something and eating at the same time, some powerful taste will immediately bring my mind away from whatever else I'm doing. It's supposed to do this. Eating food is one of the most important things for the development of culture. It makes for a well fed and healthy culture (or not) and it brings people together. If eating is relegated to some secondary activity, it merely becomes a bodily function. By the way, cooking your own food helps in making it an important thing in your life. It becomes a craft and an enjoyable activity.

The second instance is that of listening to music while doing something else. People have always done it to some extent, but whether in churches, dance halls or palaces, the music was integrated into what was going on. Now, people listen to their itunes on shuffle and do whatever it is they're doing (this does not include running to music. That is more integrated). I do it in studio. Everybody does it in studio. For me sometimes it's an escape from the environment of studio, but often, it's just something to hear while I'm doing what I'm doing. However, the music becomes secondary. If we want to truly listen to what's going on, we have to stop what we're doing and listen. When we finally hear what's happening, we are amazed at the song all over again or some similar experience. Then we realize that we were doing something else and get back to it, forgetting the beauty that surrounds us.

Ok, that was just a little thought on studio culture here in Rome.

2 comments:

thisjourneyofmylife said...

My uncle is a musician and he hates "background music". In his house, when there is music (either performed live or on the radio / cd ...), everyone stops and listens. Music is something that binds people together there.

Nate said...

I especially agree when it's in an informal setting. When friends play music together, it is an amazing experience.