Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, August 25, 2011

This Week in Feasts

This week is one of my favorites of the Year. Starting on Monday, we had the Queenship of Mary. Mary as Queen is one of my favorite images so this is one of my favorite Marian Feasts. On the 23rd is St. Rose of Lima. Don't ask me why this is one of my favorite female saints, it just is. Wasn't she also Royalty before she gave it up? Oh and I think she had the Stigmata. Following that was the Great and High Feast of St. Bartholomew. Today we celebrate yet another royalty: St. Louis IX of France, husband and ruler (as it said in the missal of readings at St. John the Evangelist church here in Milwaukee). I have liked St. Louis since my brother and sister were in a play about the Crusades when I was like....6. "To the Holy Land we ride..." I even considered him for my Confirmation Saint. Then on the 27th is St. Monica who was the mother of St. Augustine my all-time favorite writer of Catholic Theology. Her dedication in prayer is an astounding witness...plus I just like the name Monica. Then, the next day, the 28th, is St. Augustine himself. Now, I have yet to finish the Confessions, but I'm working on it and I can't get over the absolute gems in that book, and that wasn't his most potent theology. His commentary on Heaven at the end of the City of God is astounding to put it mildly.

Anyway, this is a great week for the Church.

No comments: