Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Monday, August 15, 2011

Proof that hope springs eternal


It's often easy to be discouraged by the culture we live in. It's easy to wish for the "better days". Well, reality check: there were problems then too. Here's the thing, if we give up on the culture, it will never change. Here is a story about a young woman who didn't give up hope....

And neither should we. When all the powers of darkness seem to be against us. When the world seems to be falling apart, when violence, cruelty, death, and sin seems the norm, we should remember that in the midst of all this, we are human with an immortal soul and a conscience and we have been redeemed by the Savior. He "will not abandon [the world] to the netherworld nor allow [his] holy one to suffer corruption."

Which, by the way, segues nicely into a discussion of the Feast for today. In the Dioceses of the United States, The Assumption is not a Holy Day of Obligation today because it falls on the day after a Sunday. Now we can argue the merits of this, or we can just talk about the Feast. I prefer to do the latter.

God did not allow Mary's body to undergo corruption. He did however allow her to go through intense pain and suffering. Mary is the prefigure of the Church and indeed the first member of the New Covenant. She experienced the saving power of God from the moment of her conception (a different feast) and is a sign of hope that no matter what pains we go through as a Church and as a world, we are saved and intended for God. God will sanctify the world and all of creation. One of the ways He does that is through our continual offering of our whole lives, actions, experiences etc. When we offer Him our time, the people in our lives, our emotions, our thoughts, our desires, our actions, our environment, he is able to work amazingly in our lives.

Although not required, I did go to Mass today. Thinking of the Gospel now, I realize that it is very relevant to the story I linked to above. Mary visits Elizabeth and they pretty much immediately start swapping baby stories...sort of. They both are in pregnancie situations that would be cause for concern. One, an old woman, could easily expect complications in the pregnancy including miscarriage. Mary was a virgin and would not be in a good position when people found out.
Except Elizabeth knew, and she welcomed Mary into the house. This story as well as the Feast on which it was proclaimed is designed to give us hope, to build up our faith in God and to call us to charity, especially those in difficult pregnancie situations.

No comments: