Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The importance of Scripture

Catholics often get a bad rap. We apparently don't know the Scriptures well enough and it's likely because we "don't believe it is infallible teaching" or rather we don't hold to Sola Scripture, a somewhat self contradicting dogma. We do however hold that the Scriptures are infallible and the Word of God itself. So, what does it mean to us that we have in our possession the Word of God? St. Jerome said "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." True, seeing as Jesus Christ himself is the Word of God, the fulfillment of all revelation and all Scripture speaks of Him.

Therefore, we should read Scripture to get to know our Lord better. After all, our telos is to know, love, and serve God in this world and the next, if I recall the Baltimore Catechism correctly.

In our Sunday bulletin, our Pastor gave a scriptural basis for the response "And with your Spirit" which will be used in the new translation of the Roman Missal. In fact, the whole liturgy is and has always been heavily scriptural. Mostly the Mass has consisted of Psalms and allusions, quotes and references to other books of the Bible. Of course in the Novus Ordo there are two readings and a Gospel read each Sunday (usually one reading and a Gospel on a weekday) in a three year cycle. This cycle takes us through most of scripture so that the daily Mass goer will become familiar with almost the whole Bible while at the same time participating in the highest form of prayer we have and receiving our Lord. It seems to be the perfect combination.

Finally, as we Catholics do believe in the authority of the Magisterium, I thought I might link to this article about Pope Benedict's advice concerning reading Scripture.

Soon I'll have some more reflections on scripture up.

No comments: