Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Midnight Dancers

One of my senior projects in high school was producing and starring in a production called "Midnight Dancers." It was based on a book by Catholic author Regina Doman. The book is a retelling of the story "The Twelve Dancing Princesses".

In the play, the main character, Rachel Durham, who was brought up in a strict fundamentalist christian household, discovers that goodness is "more than morality" through the actions of Paul Fester, a Catholic who is also a part time juggler/ninja. Paul plays a pivotal "salvific" role in the play/book and in one of the last scenes, Rachel tells a sleeping Paul the following, which translates nicely into a prayer:

"I think I know what you meant, Paul about goodness, but you left something out. It’s not always pretty to look at goodness, especially when it comes into contact with evil. Like me, I saw what it did to you, what it cost you to come down and get mixed up in my own brand of evil. Thank you for not standing apart in your goodness. Thank you for coming. Because you did, I think I know what goodness looks like, and you’re right. It’s beautiful. Forgive me."
It is, of course to realize that Christ came down for a reason, and that reason was to bring us out of our "own brand of evil". We all have one, and none of it is pretty. Christ took our ugliness to purify it. And that is where our hope lies.

No comments: