Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Corpus Christi: Special Report




Today the Catholic Church celebrates one the most mysterious things ever: The Eucharist. My family and I went to St. Anthony's, as we usually do on Sundays, and let me tell you, it was amazing as usual. Fr. Cliff, in his homily, talked a lot about marriage. It was interesting because certainly the Eucharist should and does remind us of the priesthood. However, it is also the Marriage of the Heaven and Earth, the Marriage and Christ and His Church...the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, the Feast and the Consummation. A marriage is a contract, a covenant really of total self giving. God has deigned to bestow on us the gift of his whole self, his whole essence in the person of Jesus Christ continually present in the Eucharist. How can we not then give all of ourselves, insignificant as we are? And we are insignificant. We are less than a drop of water in the Ocean of God's love. We are less than a grain of sand on the seashore. But remember, God said that Abraham's descendants would number more than the sand on the seashore. We are a Communion of persons in Communion with God. We as a Church should be constantly offering ourselves to God. Even so, are we not almost nothing in comparison to God? Yes, which is why He came to earth. He participated in our humanity so that we might participate in his divinity. It is through the Incarnation that the Church, as Christ's body, is offered back to God as an acceptable sacrifice, as a "suitable partner" in the heavenly marriage vow. God grants us Himself through the Incarnate Christ and He offers himself back with our own meager offerings--we are merely the water in the wine. It is truly a marriage made in heaven. Let us then throw it all down at the feet of our King and worship. All our actions--let them be for Him. All our thoughts--may they give Him glory. All of our desires--let them ultimately be a desire for the good and therefore a desire for Him. And let us fall on our knees before the Lord knowing that He Himself has brought us to His throne.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm laughing - I was there at St. Anthony's the same day. Couldn't hear a word Fr. Cliff said because of dealing with Alan. Not so convinced about him, in general. Will wait to see.

More and more people keep coming out of the woodwork as right in my backyard or having "seen" me, but we never connect. I wish it were different.

Nate said...

Fr. Cliff is definitely a great priest. He has a pretty scottish sense of humor, but he is certainly spot on in understanding people while maintaining an orthodox teaching. As relates to your recent post, he was a Legion priest and left after the scandals hit.

I don't know how often you come to St. Anthony's, but obviously right now I'm in Rome and am not going there right now. Of course if I were there, I would definitely try to connect.