Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Beatles Series #1: I'm Looking Through You

There is usually one or two lines that stick out to me in every song I hear. The Beatles being one of my favorite bands qua band, I thought I would do a Blog Series about them and the lyrics, chord progressions and Philosophies of their songs. I will start with "I'm Looking Through You."

"I'm Looking Through You" or just ILTY, is the third track on the second side of the album Rubber Soul in both the British version and the American. This of course makes it the tenth song to the Brits and the 9th to the Americans. For more info, try the all knowing website of infallible information.

The line that struck me in this song was "Love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight." For those who are interested, it has a chord progression of C--Dsus-D. It is the second line of the Chorus, which contrasts with the verses in that the verses, although also in the key of G major, uses the Am7 and Em chords to achieve a wistful and less-than-pleased sound.

The song, apparently written about Jane Asher, girlfriend of Paul, is a tale of a love that fell apart. Kind of sad, really. However, the line that stood out is quite fascinating. First of all, the "love" which is referenced is obviously eros and specifically the 60s version of it. It is not Agape. As far as I know, this song did not originate when Mary Magdelene did not find Love in the tomb, having disappeared overnight. Because it is eros, we know that it comes and goes easily from experience (at least I do.) However, usually when our love for someone disappears, even overnight, it is not generally thought of as a "nasty" habit. Yes, it's terrible for the other person, but you know, it's really relieving not to be head-over-heels for someone, right? I don't know if Paul intended this, but he's actually being pretty thoughtful of the other person, I'd say. For her, the loss of love is pretty bad. Maybe even experienced as a "nasty habit", who knows? Or Paul could just be being sarcastic. After all, he's almost saying "Oh, you didn't treat me right? You just might lose my love." Whatever the case, any song with the phrase "nasty habit" is all right with me.

People usually say that the later Beatles songs are much deeper and more meaningful. Maybe, but I really have a soft spot for the time when they just seemed to be having fun, finding joy in singing, even if it was about a disappearing love. It was a way of dealing with hardship that did not include Wallowing in Misery and Drinking Alone.

No comments: