Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Stranger than Fiction

A new movie is coming out, or has recently come out, I'm not sure which: Tron: Legacy. It's a Dark Disney Flick about an boy whose father strangely disappears but leaves him with a legacy and strange instructions. After following these instructions, the son, grown up, finds himself in a virtual reality, almost a real life video game. And his Father is in some way the king. Unfortunately, as so often happens, the peace of the virtual reality is threatened. The main character must find some way of restoring peace through visually amazing stunts etc.

Why do I bring this up? Maybe because Hollywood may be good with coming up with plots, and it may not be. Inception, I thought, was brilliantly conceived. A new take on the tension between dream and reality (with architects, all the better). Some have said that it's just Matrix 2.0 and not even that original, as gritty and real as it may or may not be. Anyway, it occurred to me after glancing over the BBC News Home Page today that real life is so much "stranger than fiction". For those of you who haven't watched that movie, I'd suggest it. It's not brilliant, certainly, but it's an interesting concept.

On the BBC, there was one headline that got me: "Amazon survives Wikileaks attack"

Huh? Oh, wait, there's an explanation."Amazon has survived attempts to bring its site down as the pro-Wikileaks data army gains thousands of recruits." and "Wikileaks 'data war' gathers pace"

Apparently, there is a group of hackers which support Wikileaks. They apparently spend their time hacking the sites of companies such as Visa and Mastercard, the fallout being that Visa's site was down for two hours and messed with people's credit. Now, since Amazon has removed its support of Wikileaks, it was supposed to have been the next target. Apparently it didn't work. There must have been some angsty soul-searching dark brooding hero behind Amazon's survival.

I guess my main point through this all is that for all the attempts to come up with a convincing and original story, there's nothing that beats the drama and comedy and mythos of real life.

No comments: