Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy New Year

Now starts one of my favorite parts of the year--Advent. Maybe it's because I'm such an impatient person, but the whole waiting thing is pretty important. Paul says in the epistle for today that our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. And that was way in the first century. Now almost 2000 years later, it seems kind of a cruel joke to still keep us waiting for the consummation of our salvation. I mean, we were all prepared to go on up to heaven, but now we've had to go through all sorts of divisions, heresies, scandals, and the world turning against us. Over and over and over again. Can't Jesus just come again?

Well, Advent is here to save us. We have a period of the year where we can focus on the graces of waiting patiently and the fulfillment of our wait. After all, people had to wait for a really long time for Jesus to come the first time. We better to expect to wait at least that long.

Or he might come tonight. Who knows? Stay awake, Jesus says. Always be watching.

Here's the thing, I don't like trips. It's because I'd rather be Here or There not in between. On The Way is my least favorite experience. I took a 9.5 hour bus ride to get back to Notre Dame today. It was awful. I would rather be resting in one place or the other. Now, I like road trips if I have someone to talk to the whole time, because then all the moments would be like being somewhere instead of being between places. It's all a matter of rest. We all want it. Augustine said "I am restless until I rest in you." It'll be great, but we don't have it. We want it, but we only get those small glimpses, like a good meal, a Great Conversation, a restful night, an enjoyable game. It's sort of like Lewis's thing with Joy. An intense longing for something that we don't have, but we get tastes of. We long for glimpses of what we're waiting for, and Advent and afterwards Christmas gives us that chance. Every year.

No comments: