Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day

What does it mean to labor?

I was having a discussion with Benzene last night about work. Specifically we were discussing doing work on Sunday, it being Sunday.

For a student, there are several different types of work. There is of course homework (which I awkwardly called "discipile work") which of course includes projects, papers, readings etc. I had just spent almost eight hours on my architecture project that day. (NB: This is normal). Also, however, there is scheduled work (at one of the many on or off campus jobs available to us). Cheng tutors freshmen football players. When they need it. Her schedule happens to be on a Sunday. Furthermore, there is voluntary work: Service of different kinds etc. Then there are "chores". This includes cleaning rooms, laundry and other things like that.

Now in my family, we often would "make sure the house was presentable" whenever we got home from Mass Sunday Noon. My parents would often say that this was a) to always have the house hospitable (charity) and b) for our own sanity and mobility.

The real question is what kinds of work is acceptable for Sunday? What is Sunday for?

Sunday is the Lord's Day and a day of rest. It is a celebration of the Resurrection and the New Creation....the Eighth Day.

Therefore, the work we can do must be either creative, restful, and/or prayerful. I defended my own work last night on the somewhat weak assertion that it was "creative" in that architecture is a creative practice. Obviously the real reason (or the one that was foremost in my mind) was because the project was due at 9:00pm. (I finished, by the way) If I had wanted to, I could have planned my week better to finish before the weekend, or at least by Saturday.

As far as work being restful, some people might actually enjoy certain chores, or certain activities that other find draining. In fact, these "labors" might be more relaxing than not doing them.

Finally, our work can be our prayer. As long as it isn't drudgery that lends itself to focus on the work itself as a hardship, it can perhaps legitimately done on Sunday.

Or, we can spend our Sunday in prayer, communion with Our Lord and each other, enjoying the New Creation.

Speaking of communion with others and God, stay tuned for my next post, hopefully on this very thing.

It's interesting that "Labor Day" is a Monday, the day after the "No-Labor Day" so to speak, but that it is a work holiday for most.

Well, not for us at ND. Got to split. Class.

No comments: