Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Eucharist: A Participation in the Eternal Sacrifice and Eternal Life.



Today in our homily at St. Anthony's, Fr. Cliff Ermatinger, our new pastor, our new pastor gave a homily about hope. The reading were, of course all about the vanity of riches etc. and how they will pass away. The way we stay detached from earthly possessions is if we have hope in Christ and our heavenly possessions. He gave us the promise of Eternal Life (Through his sacrifice) and we hope in that. Fr. Ermatinger said that the Eucharist is the connection between The Promise and The Fulfillment as it is both the Sacrifice and a taste of the Fulfillment (which is perfect communion with God). As the Catholic Church teaches, it is the SAME Sacrifice as the one on Calvary. It is our way of uniting ourselves not only to the Sacrifice in a very literal way, but also uniting to the Person of Christ. Communion with the Sacrifice and the Fulfillment. It is truly a Sacrament of hope.

However, I was also thinking of the Eucharist as specifically and literally a foretaste of our Life in Heaven. St. Augustine says (I like quoting him) "How great shall be that felicity, which shall be tainted with no evil, which shall lack no good, and which shall afford leisure for the praises of God, who shall be all in all! For I know not what other employment there can be where no lassitude shall slacken activity, nor any want stimulate to labor." Our life in heaven will be one of action and rest. At the same time. Nothing will weary us, in fact the praise of God will fulfill our need to rest. I was noticing at the Consecration that it is truly the culmination and climax of the Mass. Any other time that there is silence, it is usually when the Priest is sitting. No action, just rest, or contemplation. However at the Consecration, the priest is acting in persona Christi to offer a Sacrifice to the Father. It is of course silent during the whole thing in the Tridentine Mass, but even in the Novus Ordo there is the silence at the Elevation and it is a silence of action, but also of resting in His Presence. It is active and contemplative. It is in fact a foretaste of heaven.

The Eucharist is truly awesome. Many thanks to Fr. Ermatinger and all priests for giving their lives to be God's instruments in bringing us this Greatest of Gifts.

No comments: