Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A New Job: Reflections off the Subway

So, This morning, I got on the subway system here in Milwaukee. Actually, not because there is none. I was looking for jobs as I've been doing for the past couple weeks, and Subway seemed my last chance. turned out it wasn't, and I'm kind of glad because they didn't seem very friendly at any of the Subways I visited. Instead I am being employed, miraculously, by Summit Educational Association. It is program to help kids develop in three areas, I guess. Academics, Recreation, and Character Building. It involves things like field trips, career speakers and sports games. And most importantly, one on one interaction with the kids. I will be a "Senior Staff" member, meaning I will be in charge of a group of 9-12 kids (boys, probably fifth grade) for eight weeks, helping them with reading, math and sports. And then getting to know them individually. It's kind of funny. This is obviously a more important Work than working at subway (Pun intended. Summit is in some mysterious way affiliated with Opus Dei.)

In fact, this is one opportunity for me to imitate God. He is the only one who can know billions of people on a communal level and an individual level. At Summit, I'm supposed to know my team as a team and get to know each kid as well. In Time it's pretty hard. It's something that I'm willing to try though. It's on a much smaller scale, but everything we do is. We can't love as much as God can.

The only way I can do it though is to let God work through me. It's not My Work, right? God works in wondrous ways, and one of those ways is through people. Maybe, just maybe my work which is actually God's work will help a child see the good, the true and the beautiful.

All i know is that it's a good as heck training for fatherhood...

Bring it on.

No comments: