Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Knowledge, Truth and Love

Quid Veritas est? What is Truth? It's what Pilate asked, and I don't know that the answer is very easy to come up with. Of course, it depends on what you mean by truth. Relativism being rampant in the current age, truth has sort of been pushed to the wings by the stage-stealer Personal Opinion. Well, truth hasn't flown away quite yet. Reality isn't really possible without it.

Knowledge is an internalization of Truth. To know something is to see its Truth. If 2+2=4, then when we know it, we are participating in its truth. To teach then is to give the Truth.

"I am the way, the Truth and the Life." Jesus is that Truth. He is also Rabboni, Teacher. He is what he gives. To know him then is to know the Truth. "Know love and serve God in this world and the next", right? It's one of the amazing things about there being a personal God. You can know him. He can give his life for you, you can give your life for him. He is a friend, a Father, a brother, a King. But whatever he is, he IS, and that's what matters. He is the Truth.

If he is the Truth, we can Know him. If we can Know him, we can Love him. You can't love what you don't know. Similarly, St. Augustine said at the end of the City of God: "[In heaven] we shall rest and see, see and love, love and praise." Yes, when we SEE God we shall surely know him and we shall love him. But Jesus himself said "Blessed are they who have not seen and still believe. We are all in that position, and if we believe The Truth (for he himself IS the Truth), we are blessed if we believe in him, strive to know him and subsequently love him without seeing him. Of course our Knowledge and Love will be fulfilled in Heaven and we shall truly praise him, but why not start now, as soon as possible?

No comments: