Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

An institution of personal faith

Today, at the 11:30am Mass at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, this awesome German bishop said Mass. In his homily, he talked about how the Church is not just a bunch of people who have their own faith, their own personal relationship with Christ, and neither are we just the institution, an impersonal community. We are a Communion of believers in the Body of Christ. This implies both a group relationship with Christ and a personal one. We need to find the balance, or if we don't know the English word (like the bishop didn't today) we describe it as best we can.

On a related note, one of the concelebrating priests was distributing the Precious Blood, and he kept hold of the chalice. The Precious Blood is not to be presumed upon. It is a gift. It is not something to be "grasped at". Thank you, awesome German priest.

Oh, and Caramel and Charles and I met the bishop after Mass.

No comments: