Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Monday, April 5, 2010

Eight Days a Week....


"Eight Days a Week, I love you." said the Beatles.

I am in no way condoning everything the Beatles said or did. I like their music. But that's not why I'm writing this.

God loves us eight days a week. In other words, he loves us more than is possible in time...for eternity. This week, we celebrate the Easter Octave, an eight day period that is, liturgically, one day: Easter Sunday. To God, a second is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a second. Time is like a snap of a fingers. Eight days is no different to him than one day for he is eternal. This week, we celebrate the Easter Octave. This is a week of eight days.

Numbers are extremely important, for some reason. ONE God, THREE Persons. TWELVE tribes, TWELVE Apostles. SEVEN days of creation. But all this week, we celebrate with the number EIGHT. The "eighth day" of creation is the next "first day", the next Sunday. The reason Christians celebrate their Sabbath on Sunday is because that is when Christ rose: On the First Day of the Week. The Eighth Day. It is like the first day of creation except today is the New Creation: "Behold, I make all things new." God has recreated his people. He did not destroy the people, but saved them. He promised to Noah never to destroy the world again. But even at the Flood, he saved Eight people. A New Creation. But NOW is the Fulfillment of Noah. A New Baptism in water and the Holy Spirit. The Waters no longer destroy. "Behold, I make all things new."

A Baptismal font traditionally has eight sides.

This week, we celebrate with the number eight for the New Creation, the New Baptism, God's promise to love us "eight days a week."

No comments: