Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, April 1, 2010

April, come she will....

It's April 1st. For many that means April Fools Day, which has its origins in the Middle Ages, if I'm not mistaken. It is, however, another day that is more important. Holy Thursday, also called Maundy Thursday, a name which probably also has its origin in the Middle Ages. It's funny how much influence that unenlightened period has on us.

Anyway.

It's the day of the Lord's Last Supper. What followed for the next three days may have seemed like the cruelest of jokes to the Apostles. One of their own betrayed that Lord??? Now he's being put through a grueling trial for what? The Truth? "Quid Veritas Est?" as Pilate said... Now he's scourged and they're calling for his crucifixion. And the Apostles can do nothing but quake in fear. The cruelest of jokes. Now he's beaten down, forced to carry the undeserved cross to be killed between criminals, and even the earth is convulsing. Everything they've depended on is torn away from them...even the veil of their temple has been destroyed. All is over. The evil one has won. God is dead, oh God is DEAD? Now that it's over, and they are known as his followers, the chief priests might come for them next. They must hide. The cruelest of jokes.

But, that's not the end. Not by a long shot. God's got a better one up his sleeve. While the Evil One laughs maniacally at his Master Plan, The Christ comes and from under his nose takes the Righteous to their reward. And then, the clincher....What? The tomb empty? The Ultimate Sacrifice accomplished and returned 1000 fold? it is a joke that no one could have expected but the Father. The Joke is on the Evil One. Our Lady laughs in relief, St. Peter laughs, almost not daring to believe it. And Christ laughs with them, for he has conquered.

THAT is the joke. And He's given us the means to remember this Wonderful Joke. He gave it to us on this day...Holy Thursday

For April Fools Day, or Holy Thursday, remember this joke and why it's paradoxically called "Good" Friday. The Joke is better when seen in light of the failed joke of the Evil One. God gave us himself tonight and he will remain with us always.

No comments: