Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Sunday at Notre Dame, typical and extraordinary

This morning, I once again awoke before my room mate for an early morning rehearsal for the Liturgical Choir here at ND. Only this time, it started 15 minutes earlier because of the longer Palm Sunday Mass. Of course Mass followed with the reading of the Passion, extra music and processions. And then Brunch with friends. I then went to a Militia of the Immaculata meeting (which I haven't been to all semester). Then, I went to Tridentine Mass serving training. In half an hour I will be, God willing, leading a meeting of the New Tractarians, a student group I started. Then Dinner, Rosary around the Lake and study. It's a pretty typical Sunday for here at Notre Dame. At least for me. However, it's not typical in the grand scheme of things. Sundays will probably not include group prayer much in the future, not meeting and discussing Saints. It'll probably be a day where I go to Mass, and relax, pray maybe a bot more than usual and then go to bed.

The question is, what IS Sunday for? It's the day of rest, yes, the Lord's Day, a day for prayer. What does that mean? Are both these approaches fulfilling the Sabbath?

To the Jews, the Sabbath meant strictly no work could be done on it, no cooking, no cleaning, no planting, no harvesting. Nothing. They got it all done in the six other days. For me as a student, study is my work, at least that is one way of looking at it. Does this mean that the only reading I should do on Sunday is spiritual reading and leisure reading? Should I study?

On the one hand, it might be ideal to finish all my studying before Sunday. This would cut down on my social life, but is this necessary? On the other hand, School can be thought of as leisure. A lot of people would disagree. How can physics problems be leisure?

And then there's the question of how much leisure is appropriate to Sunday and how much prayer? Many people don't blog on Sundays. It makes sense to a certain degree. If blogging distracts you from your life in Christ, then it would be inappropriate.

This, I think, is the answer. I think it's ok to blog, to read, to clean, to garden, as long as it's done with reference to Christ's Resurrection. My parents always say that keeping the house neat is the hospitable thing to do. Well, maybe that's it. If you think about it in that way, you can connect it to the story in the gospel about those who did these things to the least ones.

At the same time, I would say that prayer is the most important focus of the day. It is more important to spend ample time in prayer than to do a leisurely activity such as watching football.

Sundays can be busy, all over the place, but no matter how much of a routine it has become, it should never cease to be extraordinary. A Special Day, set aside to remember Christ's Resurrection.

--Nate

No comments: