Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

OP ED


Also known as education that a Dominican participates in. This afternoon, one of my professors from last semester and a Dominican priest that I greatly respect defended his Graduate Thesis. I thought it was a doctoral dissertation, but it didn't seem to be that. I mean, what would you call a Dominican with a doctorate? Dr. Fr. Andrew OP? Rev. Dr. Andrew OP? Fr. Andrew OPh.D?

Anyway, it was a great event. The Thesis was on St. Gregory of Nazianzus. (If anyone is wondering why I have St Gregory as one of my favorite authors, Fr. Andrew is the reason)

There were in general two question topics: Concerning Gregory's autobiographical writing and theology which was primarily Christo-centric (which was because of his close union with Christ. If you're that close, then to talk about yourself is to talk about Christ). Second was the question of Gregory's use of Classical literature sources. Like Homer.

St. Gregory is a great poet, and is often referred to as "The Theologian". He and C.S. Lewis have something in common. They both liked Evangelizing pagan culture and showing where it touches the Truth of the Word.

Congratulations, Fr. Andrew!

3 comments:

Timothy said...

It was his Ph.D. dissertation, if I'm not mistaken.

Nate said...

Oh, well. I thought it was too.

Nate said...

Fr. Roy: "He is now the Rev. Dr. Andrew Hofer OP."