Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Loud Checkered Suit...

The title might be a private joke with myself, but I've always been amused about this use of the word "loud". I love the english language.

Anyway, the mains point of this post is to talk about the inordinate amount of noise in the world and a return to "sacred silence".

I approached the question from four standpoints trying to figure out why we depend on so much noise, why we have to be loud, where this came from. The four standpoints are: Theological, Philosophical, Sociological and Anthropological. There's a certain blur between the categories, but I just took some notes from my thoughts and this is what I cam up with:

Theological
One of the reasons it's so loud is because many people think that our relationship with God depends on us, what we do, what we say, how we pray. Because of this, we find a need to speak out, show how WE serve God. It seems that we must DO something, ACT, SPEAK OUT, OBJECT. It is our duty to change the world. This is, perhaps, a loss of faith and trust in God’s will. It may come down to a lack of a devotion to Divine Providence.

Philosophical
Compare Hitler to Maximillian Kolbe. Hitler, when addressing the masses, screams out his ideals, Kolbe speaks softly, and people are drawn to him on an individual level, whereas Hitler appeals to a mob mentality. This could have to do with a rejection of a divine power. If there is no divine power or spiritual power of any kind, then any power is human. To control the world, nature etc. is the goal. That is how philosophy has developed in the last 500 years. From rationalism to atheism to fascism, communism, etc. If we believe that we are the only power, then we will fight among ourselves to gain it. We will use polemic, argumentative discussion, talking over people. Showing our knowlege and hence power. Hitler wanted power, he needed to show it. Through noise. Kolbe knew where the true power lay, and was able to show his “less-ness” through his quiet. The more “bustling” a city is, the more “powerful” it is. Noise=power.

Sociological
Related to philosophical, seeing as our sociology is based much on our beliefs. We live in a relativistic society. Nothing is good objectively. Nothing is true objectively. Because of this, we can say whatever we want, we have the freedom to say whatever we want, and because of our new belief in our right to free from constraint. Therefore, if we are free to speak and we believe we have the right to do what we are free to do, then we will speak about whatever we want. Everyone has a right to an opinion and to voice it. So they do.

Anthropological
Technology in the last century has boomed. Just the advancement from huge computers to laptops in 30 years is amazing. Of course, this is related to the power of humanity. It shows how much in control Man is. In the past, man was dependent on nature. They could not give information over huge spaces because of mountain ranges, rivers and distance in general. Nature was in control. Because of this, Man knew he was limited. Now, with satellites, the internet, telephone lines we can “conquer” the natural barriers. We are now in control, and we want more. Therefore, we try to reach out and conquer nature as much as possible. Noise is an overpowering thing. it shows who’s the boss. Nature can’t shut me up. And because of facebook and similar things, we can reach out and communicate with as many people as possible. While we’re not online, we want to continue doing this. so we make noise to reach as many people as possible.