Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Saturday, March 27, 2010

In the World, not of the World

In a society where marriage is defiled, the priesthood is defamed and the religious life is diluted, it's hard to know where to turn. All three vocations are being abused, and if there's one thing that inspires me to act, it's abuse. If I could only become a religious, I could be a truly holy and orthodox monk/friar/what have you. If only I could be a priest, I could preach holy and orthodox teaching and offer the sacrifice of Christ for the Church. If I could only get married and live a holy marriage and raise my kids to be holy and orthodox. If only...if only...

I can't do them all. In fact, it's not a matter of doing them all. Right now, I can only do what I am called to right now: To be a student. But that means that I am called to be a lay man. A servant of God in the world. At Our Lady's University, it's a battlefield: all vocations attacked. An "of the world" attitude prevails. It's my vocation at this point to be "In the world, not of it."

Because of this, the idea of the Third Order is particularly attractive. If I am called to marriage, then my connection with Monastic spirituality will be through some Third Order. The lay person's order, the secular order, as it is sometimes called.

The word secular means related to the world. We are in the world, and even if we are eventually called to leave the world, we must right now be in the world, not of the world.

The point of this blog will be to give my reflections on the secular calling that I am called to right now, and perhaps called to for life.

No comments: