Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Monday, March 29, 2010

Choose your battles.

I have said in an earlier post that Notre Dame is a battlefield. Well, really, we are always part of a spiritual warfare against the forces of the devil. Right now that's here. However, we have to choose our battles, and carefully. We can't address every problem. We have to understand our limits. We might not be the best person for the job, and if that's the case, we'd better stay out of the way.

It's a huge temptation to think that since you feel very strongly about something, it qualifies you to lead the fight. It doesn't. I may have problems with bad liturgy, bad music, bad philosophy, Catholic identity, Social ills like abortion and contraception. Just because I know the Truth doesn't mean I should necessarily talk about them all, address them all. In Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh, the character Bridey is said to explain the Catholic Faith in such a way to make people not be interested in it at all. So, his battle wasn't an apologetic one.

A lot of people get upset, and often rightly so, about abuses of the liturgy, the Catholic University, sexuality, etc. However, if we try to focus on all of them, we'll end up focusing on none.

Catholic Minority Report writer Matt Archbold writes about this here. He wants to DO something about injustice that he sees.

We each have our struggles. Some are called to talk the Truth on a personal level...explain the faith to room mates, talk Philosophy among friends etc. Some are called to present truth in a more public forum, like opinion sections of newspapers. Others are called to preach the Gospel, such as missionaries.

No matter where we are called to spread Truth, it must have boundaries. We can't address everything. If I can't make it to the abortion clinic to protest every Friday, that is the way it goes. Perhaps it is not my fight. It's all a discernment. You have to reflect on your choice and act on prayer.

2 comments:

Robert Gotcher said...

" So, his battle wasn't an apologetic one." And he knew it.

Samantha Ordos said...

Very well said. I go to a Catholic university in Olympia, WA and I see many people become frustrated for the same reasons. In the end, the battle is not ours - we look to God above. For He will guide us safely through and guard us with His love. (I stole that from a VeggieTales song :) but it's true.)